A growing list of all good things for film weirdos.
Tactile Filmmaking How to’s:
- Helen Hill’s Recipes for Disaster: The bible of all tactile filmmaking.
- Kathryn Ramey Break the Machine: Even more film recipes.
- Caffenol Cookbook: Developing film in coffee.
- Maine Media Workshops: Educational organization that offers writing, photography, and filmmaking workshops. They offer scholarships! I recommend their Feature Film Lighting course.
- MononoAware: A Brooklyn-based non-profit dedicated to celluloid filmmaking. The first time I shot on 16mm was through one of their workshops.
- Film Scanning! Woo hoo!
Film friendly Residencies:
- AirSerenbe: A residency in the Serenbe development in Georgia.
- HubBub: A residency for emerging artists that takes place in Spartanburg, SC.
- The Core Program
- Galveston Artist Residency
- Atlanta Film Society Filmmaker in Residence Program
Women in Film Resources
- Indispensable Resources for Women in Film: A massive list.
Online camera rentals:
- Film Objectiv: A place to rent vintage film cameras. They offer really affordable processing too
- Kitsplit: Women-run camera rental marketplace. List your gear or rent gear in NY, LA, or Atlanta.
Business savvy filmmaking:
- Seed&Spark: Crowdfunding to build independence : An hour and half course on crowdfunding in a more sustainable way.
- Working Artists and The Greater Economy (WAGE): Fee calculators, email templates and general guides to not getting screwed over as a working artist.
- Eyeslicer: A variety show.
- Southern Fried Queer Pride: Atlanta-based queer and trans, arts and advocacy organization that hosts Cinequeer Film Series